Writing for audio is challenging, whether it’s a podcast story segment, a radio news release or coming up with interview questions for a guest. Audio requires more description than video because your audience can’t rely on pictures to understand what’s happening. It requires more clarity than print because your audience can’t go back and “re-read” what they just heard. Would you like to learn how to write for audio in a real-world setting where your pieces will be heard by 3 million listeners each week? In this internship you will:
- Research and write longform stories for our two public affairs programs
- Interview authors and experts in a variety of fields
- Work side by side with the industry’s top producers, studio engineers and editors with over 25 years of experience
- Assist with news releases, press releases and as needed copy for various projects
At the end of the summer/semester, you will be a better, stronger, clearer writer with the skills to communicate via any medium.
- We are looking for sophomores, juniors and seniors with a major/minor in Journalism who live in the Chicago area, able to work 2 days per week, for 8-12 weeks, from 9am to 5pm. Most interns work June through August, but some spots may be available in fall and spring semesters as well.
- You must have excellent verbal/written communication skills, including grammar and proofreading. Be a bright, hard-working self-starter with a professional demeanor and high regard for deadlines.
How to Apply
Fill out the application form. Be sure to attach your resume, 2-5 writing samples and a few paragraphs of introduction. Tell us about your relevant coursework, projects, experience, what you’d like to learn, future plans, and what days/times work best. You can include links to online work.
MTC is an awardwinning producer of two public affairs programs: Radio Health Journal and Viewpoints, heard each week on iTunes, Stitcher and over 800 radio stations nationwide. We seek interns who want to work side by side with industry experts to gain realworld experience in writing, editing, blogging, social media, communications, marketing and broadcast media in a closeknit, casual working environment with a team of eight. Our interns have gone on to work for NPR’s All Things Considered, KNX-AM Los Angeles, WAND-TV, ESPN, ABC News, Disney and us.